Thursday 23 May 2013

Terrain part 6 - hills

As I have said in the past, I am a firm believer that the small, rather sad looking polystyrene, or similar, pimples that adorn many wargames tables are not hills in any reasonable sense of the word in any ground scale that's even close to 1:1. Time to build a big hill and put my money where my mouth is.

That's most of an A1 sheet of 10mm foam board: essentially it's about 2' x 3' before the shaping. The ribs are more foamboard, and the plateau is a chunk of 50mm craft foam I had spare from another scenery experiment (of which more later).

It's designed to fit a board corner. The next stages are screwed up newspaper, some more ribs and some masking tape, and then some Woodland Scenics plaster bandage.

My one worry is keeping it flat - that size of foam board tends to flex, but the plaster etc. should keep it rigid once it's done. Sadly, the workshop floor isn't quite flat, so before I apply any paint or PVA I'm going to have to clear some space and move it to the bench.

5 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to seeing what you will do with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Mike on bigger hills, this should be good.
    Cheers,
    Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ambitious. But you're right that most hills aren't anything of the sort. Looking forward to seeing this develop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really great, Mike. A hill and a half indeed! I shall be watching closely...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading the other post made me feel like i needed to use bigger hills, but I have a gaming mat, so my hills can be any size i want them!

    ReplyDelete

Views and opinions expressed here are those of the commenter, not mine. I reserve the right to delete comments if I consider them unacceptable. Unfortunately due to persistent spam from one source, I've been forced to turn on captchas for comments.

Comments on posts older than 7 days will go into a moderation queue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...